Welcome to Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church
We exist to welcome people to Jesus Christ, equip them with a faith that works in real life,
and send them into the world to serve in Jesus' name
In person worship
– outside on the yard at 9:00 am-
We continue to monitor the church email and phone for any needs. Scheduled Food Pantry hours are Cancelled; call 518-868-2868 to arrange for food pick up.
Fall is coming - time for the
TURKEY SUPPER ON OCTOBER 1ST!
Due to COVID, the Turkey Supper will be ALL TAKE OUT this year, and done by DRIVE THROUGH in the parking
lot. Help is still needed to prep, cook, and package the food, but no waitresses and less washing dishes! Spread the word, especially since preorders are preferred.
Updates from Pres. Chris Cornwell:
- Sunday School has resumed from 9am-10am and for now will be on a monthly basis. Yvonne Keller-Baker is the teacher. All kids ages 3-grade 6 are invited to attend!
- Church Garage sale we did just under $1,100 in sales. Pretty good considering CoVID and in a new location at the Church this year which made it easier. We will plan to do our next one in the spring – so start collecting.
- We are now up over 200 advanced sales tickets. This we are requesting advanced sales as will all be a drive through due to COvid. We have advanced tickets to sell. This also applies for any church members as with this being a takeout only event, there will be no sit down. This will be the last week for advanced sales as this is coming up Oct 1!
- Pastor Jeff is leading a 7 part Bible Study on Wednesday @ 2pm at the church starting on September 16th. Spread the word!
- Confirmation Class kicks of this Wednesday @ 6:30 pm – we should have ~6 students in this.
- Worship time is 9:00 AM
- Offering: we will be using a ‘drop box’ for this on the way in or out so we are not circulating during the service
- Communionion -We are now using fellowship cups which contain a wafer and juice. Please grab one when you pick up the Bulletin.
- We will also be recording who is present, in case there is any need for contact tracing, etc and as part of the NYS guidelines will have to ask a few basic questions to ensure no one has any CoVID symptoms and check everyone’s temp as they grab a bulletin.
- Plus anyone handling anything common will wear gloves.
- the service will be recorded and posted to the church's YouTube page for anyone that is not able to be there in person
Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church
185 Church Street
P.O. Box 273
Central Bridge, NY 12035-0273
518-868-2868 (monitored daily)
Sunday Service @ 9:30am
Pastor-of-record Pastor Jeff Silvernail (6/1/20 - 8/31/20)
Pastor Jeff's Youtube Introduction
2020 Council Officers and Members
Lay President Christopher Cornwell
Vic President Carol Wilber
Secretary Venus Louise
Treasurer Jeanette Cornwell
Financial Secretary Dennis Tilison
2018-2020: Annie Poquette, Denise Carpenter, Mark VanDerwerken
2019-2021: Shirley Lawyer, Linda Lange Carman
2020-2022: Jill Attanasio, Yvonne Keller Baker, Mike Taccone
We thank our Pulpit Supply Preachers for serving our congregation:
Pastor Jim Crouthamel, Pastor Bill Siiss, Deaconess Mary Rainey, Pastor Dennis Meyer, Pastor Elaine Berg, Deacon Tom Collins, Pastor Rahel Hahn, Pastor Roger Behrens, Bert Mayne, Pator Greg Zajac, Pastor John Knarvik, Deacon Jean Guarino, Pastor Dave Perisinger, & Rev. Peter Cook.
Food Pantry - Please bring non-perishable items as below!!
Is open the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 9-11am. Staffed by volunteers, we thank Donna Schuttig, Jeanne Hay & Luane Mansheffer. If you can serve, talk to Chris or Jeanette. Spread the word especially if you know of someone who needs assistance. As of May 2020, scheduled hours are CANCELLED. Call 518-868-2868 to arrange food pick up.
Non-perishableitems needed are CANNED fruit, mixed veggies, carrots, tuna, beef stew, potatoes, yams, beans, and soup. Also coffee, tea, juices, Ensure, pasta, pasta sauce, hot cereal, mashed potatoes, stuffing mix, pancake mix, syrup, jams and jellies. honey, cooking oil, salad dresings, applesauce, dried fruit, rice, graham crackers, macaroni & cheese, popcorn, dried beans, lunch box items, and my favorite, peanut butter.
Did you know? All Ladies of the church are considered members of the Ladies' Auxiliary. Come to our meetings, held on the second Wednesday @ 12 noon . Our meetings open with reading a psalm, then a short story, followed by a discussion of church related items such as our turkey supper and smorgasbord. We close with a benediction (see below). Our meetings are very informal, with plenty of time for visiting with everyone. Come Join Us! We Need Your Ideas And Suggestions!
Officers for 2020:
Pres. Jeanette Cornwell
V.P. Elaine Cooper
Sec. Cathy Caiazzo
Treas. Betty Taccone
Next Meeting: stay tuned
from Carol Zale
As you go your way may Christ go with you.
May he go before you to show you the way;
May he go behind you to encourage you;
Beside you to befriend you;
Above you to watch over you;
Within you to give you peace!
Alzheimer's Caregiving Support Group
Interested in volunteering to help caregivers for 2-3 hours/month?
Call 518-868-2868 for more information.
Blue Clothing Box
The blue clothing recycling bin is located by the parsonage garage. Bethany is paid 5 cents/pound for these donated items: all men's, lady's and children's clothing, handbags, belts, paired shoes and sneakers, sheets, blankets, towels, bedspreads, draperies, curtains, material, stuffed animals, hats and scarves.
Blue Clothing Box website
Groups and Ministries
Prayer Ministry - daily prayer list, use the yellow file cards and the Prayer Concerns Box on the back table for names and concerns to be passed along to the Prayer Chain.
Choir - Director Carol Wilber. The Choir sings a weekly offering anthem, and lead the congregation in the worship service music and hymns. No audition needed!
We meet at church at 8:45 on Sunday mornings.
Sunday School - Sunday School resumed in person on Sept. 13th from 9-10am. All kids ages 3-6th grade are invited to attend. Yvonne Keller-Baker is the teacher.
Prayer Shawl Ministry - If you can't knit or crochet, you can still donate yarn or money for yarn. Since we started (May '06), the congregation has blessed 680 prayer shawls, and 644 have been given away.
Food Pantry -
Starting January 2019, will be open the third Tuesday of the month from 9 - 11am. In 2019, the Pantry was used 24 times, feeding 58 people. Help is needed to staff these hours; please call Jeanette or Chris if you are willing to serve. Canned and boxed goods (nothing that needs refrigeration) are always welcome; you don't have to wait for a special drive.